Holdrege & Kull provided geotechnical design, construction materials testing, and special inspection during the construction of the new Lincoln Hall dining and gymnasium building and the new fitness lab building at Chico High School. The two projects were performed concurrently.
The new Lincoln Hall is a tall (34-foot-high), single-story building totaling 18,426 square feet. It is constructed of braced steel framing, concrete tilt-up walls with brick veneer, concrete masonry unit (CMU) walls, concrete slab‑on‑grade floors, and continuous spread and isolated foundation footings. The project also included concrete sidewalks, an AC-paved parking lot, a bus route roadway, and landscaped areas.
The new fitness lab is a single-story, 5,123 s.f. structure comprised of braced steel framing, CMU walls, concrete slab‑on‑grade floors, continuous spread and isolated foundation footings, and concrete sidewalks.
Special inspection and testing for these buildings included:
- Earthwork testing during grading following building demolition. Earthwork for site preparation included removal and re-routing of underground utility lines below the building footprint; over-excavating and replacing the building footprint with engineered fill; observation and inspection of the foundation excavations; backfilling of underground utility installations and connections; and compaction of sidewalk, parking lot, and fire lane subgrade soil and aggregate base rock.
- Special inspection of reinforcing steel for concrete, including shop fabrication inspection, material identification, tagging, and tracking to site. Sampling and conformance testing of rebar was also performed.
- Special inspection, sampling, and testing of concrete for foundations and slab-on-grade interior, elevated, and exterior floors.
- Special inspection, sampling, and testing of concrete for tilt-up walls.
- Special inspection of field and shop welding, including steel material identification, welders certifications, procedures, and filler materials in accordance with AWS D1.1. Structural steel included columns, beams, trusses, studs, and metal decking. Non-destructive ultra-sonic testing of welds during shop and field welding were also performed.
- Special inspection during spray-applied fire-proofing application. Sampling and testing of fire-proofing materials and application thickness were also performed.
- Special Inspection and materials testing of high-strength bolts during field erection of the steel framing using a calibrated Skidmore-Wilhelm.
- Special inspection and materials testing of masonry components, such as grout, reinforcing steel, CMU block, and brick veneer.
- Observation and inspection of the installation of post-installed concrete epoxy anchors, and torque testing of wedge anchors.
- Special inspection and load testing of post installed concrete ceiling anchors.