Holdrege & Kull prepared the geotechnical engineering evaluation and performed construction quality assurance and special inspection during site work and erection of the Feather River Hospital Rural Health Clinic in Paradise. The project entailed the construction of a new three-story 41,000 square foot medical office building and health clinic. The building is constructed with steel frame and steel beams, concrete stemwall basement, concrete slab on grade ground floor and raised concrete floors, continuous and isolated shallow spread foundations, retaining walls, exterior concrete sidewalks and truck ramp loading dock driveway, asphalt concrete (AC) paved roads ways and parking lots, and landscaped areas.
H&K provided the following periodic observation and testing services:
- Field density testing of native soil subgrades, engineered fill, trench backfill, pavement subgrades, and aggregate base.
- Laboratory testing of soil samples for classification and maximum dry density evaluations (compaction curves).
- Continuous special inspection and testing during casting of concrete for the foundation (at moment frame bolts) and slab-on-grade as required.
- Special inspection of reinforced concrete including mix design review, batch plant inspection and sampling and testing fresh concrete.
- Slump, air content, unit weight for light weight concrete and temperature measurements.
- Structural steel special inspection including sampling and testing of all unidentified members, field erection inspection including field welding inspection of structural steel and non-destructive testing, field bolting inspection during the tensioning of high-strength bolt testing.
- Special inspection and testing of spray-applied fireproofing.
Preparation of daily field reports to document the following CQA observation made during each of our site visits: weather conditions; earthwork contractor’s work activities, work progress, completed work products, equipment used and personnel; CQA compaction testing; and other pertinent CQA information.